Prog-Sphere forums

Progressive Rock discussion groups

Follow progforums on Twitter

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-30 10:44:43

Kazza3
Member
From: Albury, Australia
Registered: 2009-12-26
Posts: 51

New song- 'Voluntary Slavery'


If you haven't seen this, it's a new song the guys played at the Crescendo Festival, called 'Voluntary Slavery', seemingly exploring their metal side a bit further. smile

Offline

 

#2 2011-09-30 12:09:04

Hugo F.
Moderator
From: Netherlands
Registered: 2008-11-09
Posts: 278
Website

Re: New song- 'Voluntary Slavery'

I hate to say it, but I don't particularly like it. Hope it's because of the crappy video.

Offline

 

#3 2011-10-05 11:14:14

Rikard Sjöblom
Moderator
Registered: 2008-06-27
Posts: 188

Re: New song- 'Voluntary Slavery'

This is one of those songs that just felt absolutely amazing to play live in front of an audience straight off the bat! It got quite an excellent reception from the people at Crescendo (as you can hear) and it's gonna be interesting to record it. Too bad about the sound quality of this video coz many of the details get lost in translation.. All in all I have a good feeling about the new material and I think our next album is gonna be pretty special

Offline

 

#4 2011-10-05 21:51:58

Hugo F.
Moderator
From: Netherlands
Registered: 2008-11-09
Posts: 278
Website

Re: New song- 'Voluntary Slavery'

Rikard Sjöblom wrote:

Too bad about the sound quality of this video coz many of the details get lost in translation.. All in all I have a good feeling about the new material and I think our next album is gonna be pretty special

No doubt about that ! And yes, those crappy videos don't do your music any good.

Offline

 

#5 2011-10-10 19:06:55

Emi
Member
Registered: 2010-10-31
Posts: 10

Re: New song- 'Voluntary Slavery'

I don´t specially like these type of beardfish songs sad
Maybe Destined solitaire is the only one I can enjoy.
I´m more on the proggy and/or eclectic way, that is what they re-defined.

Lately it seems that Opeth wants to be like Beardfish and viceversa big_smile Ok, it´s only a joke!

Offline

 

#6 2011-10-10 23:58:32

Rikard Sjöblom
Moderator
Registered: 2008-06-27
Posts: 188

Re: New song- 'Voluntary Slavery'

And we like to do all kinds of different music smile Right now we're in a ROCK-OUT kind of mood. I've read a lot of these "Heritage sounds like Beardfish" comments, and I understand what people mean, but I still don't agree because Opeth still has their own melodic structures and we have ours, so even if they backed on the distortion and we increased it (we didn't really though, maybe just a little!) it's still the melodies and chord progressions that make it what it is. I still think that "Lark's tounges in aspic Part 2" by KC is the heaviest track EVER, and that one has more agressiveness than any "metal" song I've ever heard. We're still mixing stuff though, so there's both heavy songs and eclectic songs planned for the next album! I think it's gonna be awesome smile

Offline

 

#7 2011-10-11 18:13:35

lostmumin
Member
From: Tübingen,Germany
Registered: 2009-08-08
Posts: 14

Re: New song- 'Voluntary Slavery'

Great! Looking forward to hearing some new stuff by the greatest prog band alive !
Just do whatever is on your freakin minds
I will listen
Hope there will be a few more live dates in the future!

Offline

 

#8 2011-10-11 19:34:33

lostmumin
Member
From: Tübingen,Germany
Registered: 2009-08-08
Posts: 14

Re: New song- 'Voluntary Slavery'

And what about this"relics"  thing cd?,looking forward to that one,too!

Offline

 

#9 2011-10-12 01:53:48

Rikard Sjöblom
Moderator
Registered: 2008-06-27
Posts: 188

Re: New song- 'Voluntary Slavery'

>lostmumin: it's finished, just a matter of paying for the print of it tongue
I think we're gonna do a fairly limited edition of it, like 500 copies or so..

Offline

 

#10 2011-10-12 22:02:13

Hugo F.
Moderator
From: Netherlands
Registered: 2008-11-09
Posts: 278
Website

Re: New song- 'Voluntary Slavery'

Rikard Sjöblom wrote:

>lostmumin: it's finished, just a matter of paying for the print of it tongue
I think we're gonna do a fairly limited edition of it, like 500 copies or so..

One for me please!

Offline

 

#11 2011-10-12 22:29:31

Miner
Member
From: Spain - Belgium
Registered: 2010-11-05
Posts: 17

Re: New song- 'Voluntary Slavery'

Another one for me please!!!

Offline

 

#12 2011-10-13 12:03:39

Hugo F.
Moderator
From: Netherlands
Registered: 2008-11-09
Posts: 278
Website

Re: New song- 'Voluntary Slavery'

Only 498 left! wink

Offline

 

#13 2011-10-14 22:03:48

Emi
Member
Registered: 2010-10-31
Posts: 10

Re: New song- 'Voluntary Slavery'

Rikard Sjöblom wrote:

And we like to do all kinds of different music smile Right now we're in a ROCK-OUT kind of mood. I've read a lot of these "Heritage sounds like Beardfish" comments, and I understand what people mean, but I still don't agree because Opeth still has their own melodic structures and we have ours, so even if they backed on the distortion and we increased it (we didn't really though, maybe just a little!) it's still the melodies and chord progressions that make it what it is. I still think that "Lark's tounges in aspic Part 2" by KC is the heaviest track EVER, and that one has more agressiveness than any "metal" song I've ever heard. We're still mixing stuff though, so there's both heavy songs and eclectic songs planned for the next album! I think it's gonna be awesome smile

Yes Rikard, it´s great that you are with the rocking mode on, you have to do everything you feel inside. You have gained the heaven in my musical world, I´ll buy everything you make, even if you change to Reaggeton or something... You are one of my all time favorite composers.

Of course it was a joke, didn´t know that this was a recurrent topic lately. Sorry about that. Only was thinking on the distortion down / up. Obviously neither song of Heritage sounds similar to any Beardfish songs, you are quite different. Yes, it´s hard to find out something heaviest than Lark´s Part 2, or more pacefully than the "real" start of Exiles... I feel chills down my spine with both of them wink

Offline

 

#14 2011-10-14 22:05:30

Emi
Member
Registered: 2010-10-31
Posts: 10

Re: New song- 'Voluntary Slavery'

Hey, I want a copy too! tongue

Offline

 

#15 2011-10-17 08:23:38

Laci
Member
Registered: 2010-10-25
Posts: 15

Re: New song- 'Voluntary Slavery'

Such a shame that no one sees fantasy in Beardfish to stand beside and financially support them.
Sweden is incredible,  just 5 millions there but how talented they are in most of things...

Offline

 

Board footer

SiteUptime Web Site Monitoring Service
Powered by © Copyright 2002–2005 Rickard Andersson
Defended from spammers by Stop Forum Spam

SteveA's forums are free for everyone to use, however if you would like to contribute to the upkeep I would be grateful for any donation!