You are not logged in.

#1 2021-07-27 13:02:26

SteveA
Administrator
Website

SPIRIT OF 66 Damaged by floods #flooding #flooded

Francis wrote:

Update on the SPIRIT OF 66...

Of course I shortened my holidays in France and returned as soon as possible to Verviers to see the damage...

Update on my different living places

HOUSE: largely on height, no damage but no electricity, no internet, no VOOO
OFFICES (4 m lower): 60 cms of water, mud everywhere, drowned computer, main orders placed on offices have not been reached... but no electricity or internet... impossible to work on it

SPIRIT OF 66 :
Looks like the metal shutter protected well: only 40 cms of water in the room, absolutely nothing on stage. Mixing table and main sound intact except 4 sub-bass laid on the ground under the stage... power blocks for the totally messed up ′′ lights.... to replace.... Amps, Tascam recorder, FOH (reserve) and totally drowned baffles / returns too (messed up)... obviously subject to what I didn't get to see: without power it's really all dark, there's no window at the Spirit and impossible to lift the metal shutter.... you can only grop and guess with a weak light. Lots of drowning merchandising too (T-shirts, etc..) And certainly much more we'll find out when we see it clearer.
Backstage: Obviously totally drowned, up to the ceiling! Everything is devastated... nothing recoverable including some beautiful little ′′ vintage ′′ guitar amps (Fender, Jazz Chorus, etc...)... I'm not talking about drinks reserves, where it's total disaster....
Most shocking: 10 cms of big sticky mud everywhere.... Hell!
Here too: no electricity or internet.... Looks like the main electric meter that was totally drowned needs to be replaced by Résa before going back on power... It will take days! (if so)
On the other hand, as we can't open the shutter, impossible for us to start cleaning or repairing anything before we have power and can open it to evacuate what needs to be...

Francis / Spirit of 66

#2 2021-08-02 18:23:16

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Re: SPIRIT OF 66 Damaged by floods #flooding #flooded

Vedia.be wrote:

We will survive! (original article)

Translated article:

Water will not overcome the Spirit of 66

The Spirit of 66 is no longer at the party for the moment. Closed because of the Covid, the world-famous café-concert is now closed because of the floods. And there is still a lot of work to be planned.

You knew the Spirit of 66 like that, this is what it looks like today. The damage could have been worse, the water was slowed down in its course.

"The damage is both significant and limited because it could have been worse. We only had 40 cm (16 inches) of water in the room thanks to the shutter behind us, which is a 50 year old shutter but which is ultra strong and which, apparently, was very hermetic, whereas there was 1.6m (5ft 3) of water outside. It made a good dam. On the other hand, the lodges, the cellars and all that, it is completely devastated. there is nothing left. ", explains the boss of the Spirit Francis Géron.

The famous cave of the temple of rock where each artist who passes leaves a trace of his passage has not been spared. Some graffiti has already disappeared and for others their future is uncertain.

"I have no intention of repainting them. Now, we don't know how the walls will dry, that will depend. If we have to remove the plaster, inevitably the graffiti will go away with it. Unfortunately the doors that we had to have, throw away because they're swollen, all the graffiti that was on it, all that won't exist. Anyway, my intention is to keep the graffiti. But at this point, I don't know, cannot not say if it will be possible or not. "

Reopen ... but when?

Francis Géron still tries to remain optimistic about the reopening, even if it does not depend on him.

"There are days when I hope to be able to do the concerts in September, maybe mid-September or in October, I don't know. Now the problem is that we will have to find artisans to do the work that needs to be done. Everyone in the region is absolutely overwhelmed, besides for the moment, we are still on leave from the building. If we could start tomorrow to do the work,  I'm pretty sure we could open in September. But that's not up to me, I have to find the people to do it. "

Despite everything, this situation does not make him lose his good humour. "There is no question of giving up, on survivra, we will survive." (Marie Halkin)

#3 2021-08-23 17:13:13

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Update from Francis

Francis wrote:

Things are moving on slowly.

All the mud has been removed and the cleanings just finished, at least for the biggest part of it.

VENUE

The wooden floor has been removed, we will let dry for a while. The carpenter must wait another 2 to 3 weeks to receive the new boards.

We still have some questions  about the deadlines for the doors to be replaced (WC, etc.).  this will be the biggest problem.

The damaged sound & light equipment has been removed and taken away by AudioShow ... we are waiting for control, repair or replacement quotes ...  not be too many delay problems to expect for that.

BACKSTAGE + CELLAR

The electricians are working this Monday and Tuesday to check all the electrical installation which was completely flooded. There will be a lot of things to replace

- starting Wednesday we will be able to start dehumidifying but it will take an enormous amount of time given the total lack of ventilation in the cellars. We are talking about a minimum of 6 weeks ... but we are going to place 4or 5 devices instead of 2 to try to "force" it a little

We are now trying to set the target of restarting the concerts on Sept 15th  with LITTLE CAESAR
But at this moment, it's still impossible to say whether we'll be able to hold this date..  To be honnest, this is totaly uncertain, but let's hope.

The shows planned for the beginning of September (Robert Jon, Froidebise Trio & Alain Pire, Ghalia Volt and Kozmic Blue) are already postponed to later dates see our website's agenda)

https://www.progforums.com/ForumImages/Spirit66DryingOutFloor.jpg

https://www.progforums.com/ForumImages/Spirit66DryingOutBasement.jpg

#4 2021-08-31 14:13:10

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Francis wrote:

We are moving forward... Soon the new floor...

https://www.progforums.com/ForumImages/Spirit66CleanFloor.jpg

#5 2021-10-02 20:49:45

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Francis wrote:

Bonjour
je pense qu'il est inutile de vous rappeler que le SPIRIT OF 66 a vécu et vit encore des moments difficile avec toutes ces restrictions  de cette longue période COVID 19  et, en plus,  les inondations subies.
Nous n'avons pas voulu laisser tomber les bras et mis tout en œuvre pour recommencer le plus vite possible...
On y arrive enfin.... nous sommes vraiment heureux de pouvoir vous présenter la liste de nos prochains concerts (voir ici) ...
Beaucoup de gens veulent nous aider.... c'est le moment !
Venez nombreux aux concerts... nous avons besoin de vous  !!

Hello
I think it is needless to remind you that the SPIRIT OF 66  has gone through and is still going through difficult  times with all these COVID 19 restrictions and the flooding it suffered.
We didn't want to give up and did everything we could to start again as quickly as possible ...
We're finally getting there .... we are really happy  to present you the list of our next shows (see here) ...
Lots of people want to help us .... now is the time!
Come to our shows, we need you !!

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Progforums @ Bandcamp Let’s Encrypt- free automated & open certificate authority (CA) SiteUptime Web Site Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam