Prog-Sphere forums

Progressive Rock discussion groups

Follow progforums on Twitter

Ad settings

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-02 08:59:41

Svetonio

Caravan "If I Could Do It All Over Again..." 50 Year Anniversary

"Canterbury Prog" (or "Canterbury Scene", or "Canterbury Sound") is a tag coined at the Internet forums and it's eccentric as it is, because for the prog-heads it is an existing genre but for the musicians who were the original members of "Canterbury" bands, it's still to be "only" Progressive rock, or Psychedelia if it's more trippy, or "just Jazz-Rock". Either way, Caravan's If I Could Do It All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over You is one of the albums from the early 70's that defined "Canterbury Prog" as a style (or genre if you like) as well as it's one of the masterpieces of Progressive music in general.
Sinclair's unique "Canterbury" keys and Pye Hasting's "Canterbury" vocals are beautifully given, and with the cheerful guitar sound & pleasant flute that altogether create a sunny pastoral feeling, although complex and challenging, If I Could Do It All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over You offers a huge listening pleasure to even non-proggers and hence I'm puzzled as to why this band wasn't commercially successful.
The 2001 remastered version with four bonus tracks and a magnificent nostalgia-catalyze booklet really have to be of crucial interest to the fans of "Canterbury Prog".

https://img.discogs.com/t1tFZdeTe46ID2H2okHGKPnH_F4=/fit-in/572x580/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(90)/discogs-images/R-5894729-1405632983-9914.jpeg.jpg

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Progforums @ Bandcamp Let’s Encrypt- free automated & open certificate authority (CA) SiteUptime Web Site Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam