Re: Sane Day cover and back cover

hey - nobody's hating anyone! I promise

#17 2009-08-12 08:57:31

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Bertovo wrote:

Downloading music is awesome cause lets face it I never would have bought the 3 beardfish albums I have had I not pirated them and listened first

I'm sure some illegal downloads lead to legitimate sales, but I think you'll find the net result is lost sales, because most people will be happy with their downloaded copy.

#18 2009-08-12 09:27:29

Bertovo
Website

I don't know, I run a forum with a section devoted to downloading music and I'd say a majority of folks who really like an album will go out and buy it, especially if it is from an active band trying to make ends meat.  Lots of people like having a physical copy for the sound quality, convenience, album art, etc.  Also have to factor in the exposure a band gets from it and the subsequent concert tickets and merchandise sold, which I assume is a bigger cash cow than cd sales.

Finally there is no chance in hell someone from northern Canada like me would have heard of some obscure  Swedish prog band if not for the downloading music.  This worldly audience expands the market base significantly.  I have showed pals Beardfish who have in turn bought concert tickets to see them (for progressive nations but still), and today I walked into my buddy's room who was playing The Hunter on youtube and said to me "I really got to buy some of their albums, Beardfish is awesome."  This is just cause he heard them playing in my car.  None of this would have happened had I not downloaded some albums way back when and fallen in love.

So sure there are some bastards who never give back to artists but I think on the whole downloading is a good thing.

#19 2009-08-12 11:40:40

Hugo F.
Website

Anyone interested in Prog should visit the Progarchives site. It has samples and/ or links to myspace.
Also, join a good forum. There are many. The best out there is Progressiveears.com. There you can read about all sorts of music.

And yes, Youtube is a great source as well. No need to download illegally.

#20 2009-08-12 11:43:25

Hugo F.
Website

Oh, and read reviews, many reviews.
I started reading the Gibraltar Encyclopedia and moved from there. Itsa simple!

#21 2009-08-15 09:57:42

Rikard Sjöblom

Oh and if you want to listen to our albums without buying them, both "SIT 1 & 2" and "The Sane Day" are available in Spotify... just thought I'd mention that.

#22 2009-08-15 18:01:09

hassanguason

Ese sitio no esta disponible en mi país y aunque quisiera comprar los discos tampoco podría porque no se editan aqui. Lo siento mucho pero tuve que descargar todas sus canciones, ójala algún día firmen contrato con una disquera internacional y vengan hasta acá a dar conciertos, ¡sería excelente!

translation added by Steve...

This site is not available in my country and although I could not buy CDs because they are published here. Sorry but I had to download all your songs, hopefully one day sign a contract with international label and come out here to give concerts, it would be great!

Last edited by SteveA (2009-08-15 18:33:10)

#23 2009-09-25 07:31:57

Terryl

My goodness, i never thought a music blogger would have a heart to post in a band's forum to ask for a complete artwork.

Anyway, on pirate downloading. My apologies to the band here. I went to all registration into this forum in order to say to the band that I am sorry to have downloaded Sleeping I and II in their entirety. After a month of listening i decided I really love your albums I bought them both from Ebay.

Same applies to music by other artists, including your friends here Tangent, Pain of Salvation, Karmakanic, etc. I know this is lame excuse but I am living in a small country in Asia where only you can't find progressive rock CDs unless they are as big as Dream Theater. I can't buy MP3 from iTunes or Amazon, as they think we Asian will distribute the files once downloaded (as if Americans or Europeans don't do it). Buying a real album costs a fortune in shipping and handling (most of the time equal or more expensive than the CDs), for example, InsideOut shop charges EUR27.5 for shipping 2 CDs, or Tripple Crown charges 40US for the limited ed of Dear Hunter.  So with my level of income I need to make sure I buy the CDs I really like.

Again, guys, sorry. Unfortunately I will do it again.

#24 2009-09-25 07:37:22

Terryl

Just to add, of those mentioned in my previous post, I proudly own Tangent's Not As Good As the Book, Karmakanic's Boss in the Factory, Tomas Bodin's IAM and PoS' BE.

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Progforums @ Bandcamp Let’s Encrypt- free automated & open certificate authority (CA) SiteUptime Web Site Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam