Prog-Sphere forums

Progressive Rock discussion groups

Follow progforums on Twitter

Ad settings

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-03 12:33:33

Billiejane

Prog PhD Student says hello!

Hi! I'm Kimberley, I'm 25 and researching how progressive rock might provide or heighten a spiritual experience for a PhD at St Andrews. I came into this topic for a PhD because I saw 2 guys (including my boss) playing Pink Floyd at an open mic, and thinking how enchanting it was. I'm a former literature student so also very into talking about song and album 'meaning'. Favourite bands - Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Genesis, Kate Bush. Finding Spock's Beard and Neal Morse very interesting now too... esp. from a theology perspective.

I'm on here because it is obviously very important to hear fan perspectives - in some ways more important than my own perspective. So I'd really love to hear what anyone from this forum has to say about these topics and more.

I'm actually running a survey at the moment, which invites people to tell me about their experiences for about 20 minutes, but don't want to seem to be spamming the site. In order for me to be able to use what people say for my research, i can't just poach stuff off here... I know it would be a huge favour for a newbie to ask, but is there any chance I might be allowed to post a link? So your important perspectives can be heard, and so my research actually makes a difference!

Thank you smile

P. S. Love reading the content on this site - suuuper helpful for a young inexpert like me wink

#2 2018-07-03 12:57:25

Billiejane

Re: Prog PhD Student says hello!

if interested... here is my link :

Hello! My name is Kimberley Anderson and I’m a PhD student in Theology and the Arts at the University of St Andrews. My thesis explores how certain forms of progressive rock might be connected to spiritual or religious experience. To make my project as accurate as possible, I am gathering first-hand accounts of how listeners experience this music, and I would be delighted to hear from you if you have anything to say about this combination of ideas. This month I am running a survey that is open to people of all backgrounds, beliefs and persuasions, as long as they are over 18 years of age and interested in progressive rock. My definition of progressive rock is very flexible, so please do not be put off if you only have experience with a few bands which fit loosely into this category. It starts with some quick, general questions about how you perceive and experience prog rock, and moves on to ask participants to describe, where possible, specific kinds of experience related to progressive rock and spirituality. It can be completed online during via the link below and, all in all, should only take 15-20 minutes of your time. Your answers will be treated confidentially, but there is also the option to leave your email address in case you are willing to keep in touch and perhaps answer any more questions (this would be extremely helpful!).

PhD Researcher: Kimberley Jane Anderson, University of St Andrews, kja2@st-andrews.ac.uk
Supervisor: Dr Gavin Hopps, University of St Andrews, grh10@st-andrews.ac.uk

https://standrews.eu.qual....yS5pbWv7aB

#3 2018-07-03 13:58:06

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Hello Kimberley

Sounds like an interesting thesis!

I'm more than happy for you to post here - I've moved your introductory message into the General Discussion forum where most people gather.

Regards
Steve

#4 2018-07-03 15:45:04

Billiejane

That's awesome - thank you Steve!

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Progforums @ Bandcamp Let’s Encrypt- free automated & open certificate authority (CA) SiteUptime Web Site Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam