Follow progforums on Twitter

Ad settings

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-10-30 06:41:47

ProgSphere
CEO at Prog Sphere
Website

Prog Rock is Back! THEO Runs Crowdfunding Campaign

Inspired by classic bands like Yes, ELP, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, and Genesis, THEO brings epic songwriting and sweeping narratives back to the forefront with contemporary sensibilities and production,” says that mainmain behind the THEO project Jim Alfredson.

In order to fund the release of the project, Alfredson asks progressive rock fans to donate in the Pledge Music campaign in exchange for dozens of great perks. The campaign has still 6 days to go, and so far it’s been raised 99% of the goal. You can donate HERE. THEO was a part of our recently released Progstravaganza Special – The New Generation of Prog 2014, and you can hear a song called Idle Worship here.

Jim Alfredson is best known for his work with acclaimed jazz trio organissimo and is considered among the best Hammond organists working today. As Downbeat magazine wrote, “Alfredson is a remarkable organist who seamlessly synthesizes several generations of keyboard influences…” Keyboard magazine, in reviewing organissimo‘s album Alive & Kickin’, wrote that Alfredsonsuccessfully walk[s] the line between complex and accessible…

In THEO, Alfredson is joined by bassist Gary Davenport (805 Band, Janiva Magness), drummer Kevin Depree (Sound Is Red, Greg Nagy Band) and guitarist Jake Reichbart. The eponymous debut album features six tracks including an epic 30 minute opening suite.

With THEO, Alfredson brings his considerable musicianship to bear on his first love, progressive rock. As Alfredson explains: “I grew up listening to Peter Gabriel, Genesis, Yes, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Gentle Giant… all the classic prog bands. I even made my own prog ‘album’ when I was 16 that I passed out to friends and family. But then I was bitten by the jazz bug and dedicated the next 17 years of my life to figuring out that music. Surprisingly, that education paved the road back to progressive music, back to my love of synthesizers and exploring different musical forms. I feel like my musical journey has brought me full circle.

http://www.prog-sphere.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Jim-Alfredson.jpg

THEO also represents a return to the concept of the keyboardist as a vital and irreplaceable part of the group, rather than a mere sideman. “Most prog these days is metal-based,” says Alfredson, “and there’s nothing wrong with that. But I feel like it’s past time keyboardists get our due again. My primary influence is Tony Banks; his melodicism, his understatedness, his lyricism, and his use of timbre. There’s a time and a place for flashiness and there’s a time and place for subtlety. THEO is a manifestation of that belief. It should be about the song first, putting that song within a certain atmosphere, and then exploring.

THEO‘s intrepid and dynamic music is paired with auspicious lyrical themes of corporatization, consumerism, loss of innocence, exile, and the obsession with celebrity. Lead vocals are handled by Alfredson himself. Usually relegated to background duties, Alfredson‘s surprisingly flexible baritone voice shifts from soaring muscularity to intimate falsetto and everything between. “I think that may be the most notable aspect of this project for my long time fans,” says Alfredson. “Those that know me only as an instrumentalist and background singer will hopefully be pleasantly surprised.

THEO is scheduled for a November 17th, 2014 release on Jim Alfredson’s Big O Records. Pre-order ANY exclusive item and you automatically get the download plus that item weeks before the official release.

http://www.prog-sphere.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/THEO-logo-620x400.png

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Progforums @ Bandcamp Let’s Encrypt- free automated & open certificate authority (CA) SiteUptime Web Site Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam