Ad settings

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-06 16:15:40

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Using "real" instruments

Per / Linus

I understand that you use genuine instruments when recording - does that go for live shows too? Do your roadies hate you?!

I hope that means you'll be booking the Royal Albert Hall when you come to London, so that you can use the pipe organ wink

#2 2009-01-07 18:17:51

Linus
Website

Re: Using "real" instruments

It's true that all our recordings are performed with 100% analogue instruments. That of course makes the recording sessions a bit more complicated since we have to move a lot of equipment around when recording the pipe organ and big heavy things at other locations. The end result though is definately worth it!
Live we try to play as analogue as possible, which basically means all analogue. I have occasionally played on a digital piano but if the venue has a grand piano/piano that's what I like to use. If there is no piano available I prefer playing on a Rhodes. Until we can afford real roadies we won't bring the Hammond organ with us though! Per usually use an Oberheim organ (which makes for the only digital instrument) since it's more handy. Since Per always brings his Leslie to the gigs as well it sounds pretty authentic. The pipe organ is reproduced on a mellotron tape. The Logan II string machine sometimes reproduce a pipe organ-like sound in the studio as well.
Unfortunately we are the roadies! Trust me, it's not fun to carry a mellotron up or down the stairs!

#3 2009-01-07 19:39:19

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Wow! Well I admire your dedication to all things analogue, but surely your fans would forgive you for touring with more portable equipment? Clavia / Nord kit seems to be very popular (and it comes from Sweden!)

#4 2009-02-11 15:09:43

aith01

Sounds like you guys are quite dedicated to using analog equipment, which is awesome. That sounds like a lot of hard work though -- especially being your own roadies. Like SteveA said, I'm sure people would be forgiving if you used more easily portable equipment to play live. wink

I'd love to see you guys play live though. Do you think you'll ever be able to come play one of the prog festivals in the US?

#5 2009-02-11 22:13:25

Linus
Website

We will try keeping it as "real" as possible, within reason ofcourse, for our own sake. It is part of the fun! I also know that Per will have a hard time separating from his mellotron :-)
We are armed and ready to play in the US! Please keep lobbying for us and hopefully this could be reality very soon.

Thanks, aith01
/Linus

#6 2009-02-12 01:00:49

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Don't forget Mellotrons and Hammonds are sensitive to mains frequency (not just voltage). If you take Euro versions to USA you'll need to use frequency converters else they'll play out of tune.

#7 2009-02-12 20:07:39

Per

Ah, that wonderful 60/50 Hz ordeal...you have to love that common standards can´t be universal wink

/Per

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Progforums @ Bandcamp Let’s Encrypt- free automated & open certificate authority (CA) SiteUptime Web Site Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam