#1 2010-09-09 08:28:26

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Shock news - Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater

Portnoy wrote:

Wednesday September 8th 2010

I am about to write something I never imagined I'd ever write:

After 25 years, I have decided to leave Dream Theater....the band I founded, led and truly loved for a quarter of a century read more.

http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/m2585154.aspx

#2 2010-09-09 15:12:02

TheDogman
Tanuki Supreme
Website

Re: Shock news - Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater

I wish it had been LeBrie sad Still, I'm actually happen to see a change in the band. After the crap that was Black Clouds and Silver Linings and the monopolization of the lyrical side by Portnoy and Pettruci (to the detriment of the band IMO, not that they've ever been amazing lyricists...) I'd like to see what their next album will be like.

For the record, I enjoyed Systematic Chaos.

#3 2010-09-12 21:48:33

Arnold_Layne
A Pretty Little Posey
Website

I havent enjoy a DT album since Octavarium, and it has been decreasing exponentially since Metropolis part 2, actually Octavarium wasnt that good. Still,  never thought mike would be the first one to leave, (I wish it had been LaBrie too)

He wanted a hiatus, not from music just from DT... they didnt want it. i guess it was one of the two situations:

MP: the band take a break for the next year, or i'm out.

or

JP: we'll record a new album next year, with or without you.

what pisses me the most is that he will still touring with that teenagerist hard rock band avenged idkwtf.

Imagine how much fun will the new DT drummer will have learning all that songs for the next tour big_smile ... hope its Virgil Donati!

#4 2011-01-24 12:32:34

ProgSphere
CEO at Prog Sphere
Website

Arnold_Layne wrote:

what pisses me the most is that he will still touring with that teenagerist hard rock band avenged idkwtf.

What's interesting here is that Portnoy has actually been fired out from Avenged Idkwtf too. LOL

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Progforums @ Bandcamp Let’s Encrypt- free automated & open certificate authority (CA) SiteUptime Web Site Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam