Follow progforums on Twitter

Ad settings

You are not logged in.

#16 2010-05-24 17:22:27

TheDogman
Tanuki Supreme
Website

Re: Beardfish - It's quiet...

Yeah, Mirage is definitely Camel's best album IMO. Snow Goose is #2 though.

Definitely don't use Theme One to judge Van Der Graaf Generator. That "song" is actually incredibly unusual for VDGG, in that it was a cover of George Martin's BBC radio theme. They actually managed to get a #1 hit with it in Italy though. VDGG tends to make most people cringe too, actually.

You would probably like Hatfield and the North/National Health/Caravan/Gilgamesh a lot, by the way. All of the keyboard-driven Canterbury Scene. Mayne Soft Machine, Khan, and Egg as well.

#17 2010-05-24 17:32:31

jaspervemmerik
Website

I listened to 'six' by soft machine recently, quiet liked it. smile Van der Graaf Generator didn't do much for actually, but perhaps it will after a few more listens.
Currently I'm also digging the (swedish) jazz trio 'Esbjörn Svensson Trio'. Tuesday Wonderland is a verycool album! smile

#18 2010-05-24 18:18:46

Magnus Östgren

moonmadness and mirage is  definitely the  best Canterbury albums i know about.

#19 2010-05-24 19:01:40

StagInsanity

Gilgamesh, I like this! Egg and Soft Machine sound interesting as well, and I think it's safe to expect these other Canterbury bands to be good as well.

On a side note, jaspervemmerik, quite some interesting stuff you got on your site there smile I'll see if I can record some demos worth for uploading myself soon. I'm experimenting with some music that might be fit for crazy video games, as well as some jazzy prog/death/whatever-metal.

And cool to see you here Magnus! I'll listen through moonmadness.

#20 2010-05-24 19:59:33

TheDogman
Tanuki Supreme
Website

Yeah, Moonmadness is excellent, as well as Camel's selftitled debut and Rain Dances. Personally I don't consider Camel to be a Canterbury band, but I also don't really consider Soft Machine, Gilgamesh, or Egg to be Canterbury either. To me Canterbury requires that combination of jazzy keyboard jams, whimsical lyrics, and an ironic adoption of pop elements. That's just me though, if everyone listened to me only Hatfield, National Health, and Caravan would be considered Canterbury tongue

Btw, fans of The Tangent will notice some sections of The (first) Canterbury Sequence were lifted from "The Yes No Interlude" from Hatfield's second album.

#21 2010-05-25 10:15:13

Kazza3

TheDogman wrote:

If we can extend this thread into Norway, I would like to make mention of a recent discovery of mine: Jaga Jazzist. They're an incredibly melodic jazz band from Norway with electronic elements. Lots of different insruments too. But anyway I would definitely recommend Klotet for any fan of Beardfish. As far as I'm concerned there's absolutely no reason a fan of Beardfish would not love Klotet (or vice versa) unless the only think they like in Beardfish is Rikard's vocals/lyrics. Not to say they aren't worth obsessing over, but there's plenty of Beardfish to love other than those elements big_smile

Wow, thankyou so much for bringing up Klotet. Just bought En Rak Hoger on itunes, haven't listened to it all yet, but what I have heard is fantastic.

#22 2010-05-26 02:56:55

TheDogman
Tanuki Supreme
Website

So yeah, these Mats & Morgan live albums are f*cking awesome. Oh yeah, and Klotet it awesome too big_smile

#23 2010-05-26 08:09:38

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Has anyone heard the new Klotet album? More ear candy!

Don't forget they have a forum here too! http://forum.spa-networks....php?id=509

Påhl Sundström is occasionally online.

#24 2010-05-26 08:31:55

TheDogman
Tanuki Supreme
Website

I was actually surprised at how quickly he responded to my request when I made it on the forum, considering how empty it is. But yeah, the second album is great, just like the first!

#25 2010-05-26 09:20:14

SteveA
Administrator
Website

TheDogman wrote:

I was actually surprised at how quickly he responded to my request when I made it on the forum, considering how empty it is.

That's because I emailed him wink

#26 2010-05-26 12:58:55

StagInsanity

Yeah the Mats and Morgan live albums are amazingness in waveform!
Just listening again to more klotet on their myspace, and wow, seriously enjoying this. Listening to "En rak höger så att glasögonen rök" and I'm very amazed smile

#27 2010-05-26 20:23:04

TheDogman
Tanuki Supreme
Website

SteveA wrote:

That's because I emailed him wink

Ha, well done! They should probably refresh that email they have listed on their Myspace so you don't have to be bothered every time something like this happens tongue

Klotet and Mats/Morgan are moderately similar, if only for the keyboard/guitar interplay sort of thing... MM are more experimental and Klotet are heavier musically though. But don't take my word for it, keep listening!

#28 2010-05-26 22:48:54

StagInsanity

I will smile

I found a pretty nice Spock's Beard thing

#29 2010-05-26 23:54:36

TheDogman
Tanuki Supreme
Website

You might like some of the stuff we'll have on the blog soon, since you're a fan of SB. I don't know how soon though, they haven't sent their answers back yet... Oh no, I've said too much!

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Progforums @ Bandcamp Let’s Encrypt- free automated & open certificate authority (CA) SiteUptime Web Site Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam