Follow progforums on Twitter

Ad settings

You are not logged in.

#31 2010-05-28 05:22:08

TheDogman
Tanuki Supreme
Website

Re: Beardfish - It's quiet...

Some more Swedish prog: fans of Hansson and Klotet would probably find Flasket Brinner interesting. Hansson guested on one of their albums, but I forget which. There's also Kaipa, for those who haven't heard of them. Kaipa was Roine Stolt's first band. They released three REALLY REALLY AMAZING symphonic prog albums in the 70's before Roine left and they released two bad pop albums. Then the leader, Hans Lundin (keyboardist) reformed the band with Roine Stolt in 2000 and they've made five albums to date with the new lineup. Three of which included Stoltm but I believe all of them include Jonas Reingold.

#32 2010-05-28 07:05:29

TheDogman
Tanuki Supreme
Website

Oh, I forgot to mention. Morgan Agren of Mats & Morgan is Kaipa's drummer.

#33 2010-05-28 08:38:19

SteveA
Administrator
Website

TheDogman wrote:

Also worth mentioning vocalist Patrik Lundström, from the excellent band Ritual (another one to check out!)

#34 2010-05-28 08:59:52

TheDogman
Tanuki Supreme
Website

And Mr. Jonas Reingold of course! But the three of them are only in the second incarnation. Mr. Stolt was in both (for three albums of each, though the first incarnation ONLY HAD THREE ALBUMS AND DON'T LET ANYONE TELL YOU ANYTHING DIFFERENT) but yeah anyway the leader is Hans Lundin, the keyboardist.

I've never actually listened to Ritual... Maybe I will give them a try.

#35 2010-05-28 22:02:08

ProgSphere
CEO at Prog Sphere
Website

SteveA wrote:

TheDogman wrote:

Also worth mentioning vocalist Patrik Lundström, from the excellent band Ritual (another one to check out!)

Speaking of Patrik, first time I've heard him singing in reformed Kaipa, I've thought it's Goran Edman, even now when I listen to new Kaipa albums, this guy reminds me of Edman smile

I've noticed that you guys have mentioned here some bands/artists which were interested for me and TheDogman (as the editors of Prog Sphere blogzine), so I'm sure that you are going to enjoy reading something soon wink

#36 2010-05-29 01:08:52

SteveA
Administrator
Website

There are similarities in the vocal styles or Patrik and Goran.

If you want to interview more Swedish bands, Black Bonzo and Brighteye Brison would be interesting subjects.

Of course, there are bands from other countries (honest!) wink

#37 2010-05-29 01:43:04

TheDogman
Tanuki Supreme
Website

Unfortunately, Nick and I don't listen to Brighteye Brison, so we wouldn't know what to ask them. As for Black Bonzo... well... we can't talk about that for the time being, but we'll get back to you.

#38 2010-05-29 22:29:03

ProgSphere
CEO at Prog Sphere
Website

It would be nice to interview Jonas Reingold, Mikael Akerfeldt, Christian Vander, Peter Hammill, Andy Latimer, Daniel Gildenlow, etc. I already tried to get in touch with Jonas, Andy and Daniel, but I guess it's hard to make it out, especially latter two. Also, Goran Edman would be nice to do smile

By the way, you can come out with a list of bands you'd like to read on our blogzine, and we'll process it smile From this point, I can say that we will have some time soon few very interesting and above all huge interviews and I guess you're going to enjoy it.

#39 2010-05-29 23:01:15

SteveA
Administrator
Website

#40 2010-05-30 09:51:29

TheDogman
Tanuki Supreme
Website

If you manage to get a hold of anyone, get them to email Nick (astrallis47@gmail.com), because I like to annoy him by having his inbox filled.

On another note, I HIGHLY recommend the first four albums by Samla Mammas Manna. Don't let the rediculous RIO/Avant-Prog tag on ProgArchives fool you, these guys are basically "eclectic jazz fusion" as far as I'm concerned. Fans of Klotet/Beardfish/Bo Hansson would like them. Fans of Bo Hansson would also love Flasket Brinner, since he guested on their albums, and they liked to cover his music.

#41 2010-05-30 12:20:46

ProgSphere
CEO at Prog Sphere
Website

SteveA wrote:

I may be able to persuade 3 of those to speak to you... Let me see what I can do.

Get me Mikael Akerfeldt and I'll pay you in gold big_smile And if you get Gildenlow as a bonus... Well... er... You'll get more gold.

Btw, get Elephant9, they have released two albums so far, and second one is brilliant. For the fans for Bosse Hansson (especially his work with Karlsson), Bootcut, but with different approach. Maye you'll know them if I say that the drummer is involved in Norwegian avant-garde jazz band Shining (Torstein Lofthus) and the mainman behind this, Ståle Storløkken (fender rhodes, hammond organ and synthesizer) is known by his playing in Supersilent. They have a bassist, Nikolai Hængsle Eilertsen (The National Bank).

#42 2010-05-30 14:00:19

StagInsanity

AstralliS wrote:

Get me Mikael Akerfeldt and I'll pay you in gold big_smile

Yes, yes, Åkerfeldt has been my number 1 all-time hero and a massive inspiration for many years and will remain that. I've heard many interviews from him, but not enough! He used to have a myspace blog, though it seems to be down.

#43 2010-05-30 14:48:13

ProgSphere
CEO at Prog Sphere
Website

Yeah, I used to read his blogs, but then he decided to shut his MySpace profile down. I guess he has become tired of maintaining all that and also receiving thousands of emails and stuff...

#44 2010-06-11 23:07:47

StagInsanity

Quite unexpectedly I have stumbled across this. My.. sense is tingling!

#45 2010-06-12 09:38:06

Bertovo
Website

what a turd that song is

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Progforums @ Bandcamp Let’s Encrypt- free automated & open certificate authority (CA) SiteUptime Web Site Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam