Prog-Sphere forums

Progressive Rock discussion groups

Follow progforums on Twitter

Ad settings

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-02 09:13:37

Rikard Sjöblom

Bongo Fury - Zappa played by a power trio!

Hey! There's a torrent available at http://thepiratebay.org/t....__A-krogen
that you might like to check out smile
Aside from all these ORIGINAL bands in all their seriousness, Petter Diamant (Bootcut, Baron Bane), his brother Rasmus (Baron Bane) and I (Rikard Sjöblom) enjoy getiing down 'n' dirty with the music of jolly old Frank Zappa. And we like to do it just between the three of us, that means a power trio, yihaa! So it's a little more jam-proggy - think Made in Sweden or Hendrix Experience...
And it's recorded live at a small venue in our hometown - it's not perfect in any way, but it might be fun to listen to so check it out if you like Frank's music!

Cheers - Rikard Sjöblom

#2 2009-03-02 09:32:11

Bertovo
Website

Re: Bongo Fury - Zappa played by a power trio!

Bitchin' tried downloading this earlier but there weren't any seeds, seems to be going along well now.

#3 2009-03-04 21:15:11

Fredrik

Rikard, det här är så inihelvete bra att jag har svårt att tro mina öron.

This is so good I'm speechless.

Echidna!/Don't - I'm speechless.

More later whn I've picked up my jaw...

This is a fantastic introduction to Zappa music for all of you Beardfish fans who have wondered what the fuss about FZ is about.

#4 2009-03-06 23:43:40

Fredrik

Thank you for posting this amazing concert. As I missed your October 25 gig in Gävle (Is this a recording of that gig?) I'm all the more eager to attend a Bongo Fury gig in future. Do you have any more BF gigs planned before Beardfish hits the road this summer?

This is such a fantastic concert that I feel sorry for the Zappa fans who have not yet heard it. This gig is full of goose bump moments and it would be silly of me to try to list them all. The musicianship overall is simply stunning. Fave moment right now is Sjöbloms "ahhhh-ahh" at 5.16 in one of the best King Kongs I've ever heard. And it only gets better after that song. Echidna and DYEWTT just floors me. The cookie recipe recital in place of Watch Ruth is just genius. Probably my favourite Zappa tribute band ever.

#5 2009-03-07 20:58:55

Hugo F.
Website

Thanks for this, I listened to Zappa a lot when I was younger. This is great stuff, especially for "only" a trio.

#6 2009-03-08 19:35:20

Bertovo
Website

So this rules.  I wonder if we will get so see rikard jam with zappa plays zappa on the melloboat.

edit: I obviously meant prognations

Last edited by Bertovo (2009-03-10 05:36:03)

#7 2009-03-09 22:15:04

Fredrik

Bertovo wrote:

So this rules.  I wonder if we will get so see rikard jam with zappa plays zappa on the melloboat.

Since the ZFT usually strikes down hard on Zappa tribute bands, it worries me that Sjöblom's participation in a Zappa tribute band will affect the Prognation tour this summer when Beardfish is touring with ZpZ. But so far, Bongo Fury seems to be a well-kept secret among a tight knit group of five downloaders. smile Ideally, the ZpZ and Beardfish will be best of friends.

Rikard here's a question regarding Heavy Duty Judy:
The guitar at 2.58. This is beautiful. Are you quoting Zappa here? Or is this your own solo?

The Guitar solo in Oh No / Son of Orange County is so good it makes my hair stand on end. Check 3.42 -5.15 - Ain't this what living is all about? Wonderful music played by fantastic musicians. And for their next number, King Kong.....

#8 2009-03-09 23:14:47

Rikard Sjöblom

Hi Fredrik,

thanks for all your nice comments! I'm glad you like it! About that guitar solo in "Heavy Duty Judy" I recall that Frank plays something similar in the version on "The best band you never heard in your life" but only for like two bars (i'm checking it now) between 3:18-3:21 and it's sort of the same phrasing that I use in the solo, but the melody is different...

Cheers - Rikard

#9 2009-03-10 01:08:57

Fredrik

I didn't find the similarities you mention, I think you should just say the solo is your own.

I am still knocked out about how good Bongo Fury is. I am listening to this concert over and over and I still don't know what to say other than it's simply fantastic. New favourite: the guitar in More Trouble Every Day at 5.23 just rips my heart. And King Kong keeps on growing.

#10 2009-03-31 23:55:48

Fredrik

Three weeks later and I'm still loving this performance. I especially like King Kong and its flow into Vegetable and how that song goes into Echidna. That's three very different eras of Zappa bands merged into one coherent piece. Fantastic and brilliant. I hope you will share more Bongo Fury stuff soon. I read that you usually play Cosmik Debris as well and I hope to hear it.

#11 2009-04-14 18:37:28

Rikard Sjöblom

Thanks a bunch for your enthusiasm, man! /Rikard

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Progforums @ Bandcamp Let’s Encrypt- free automated & open certificate authority (CA) SiteUptime Web Site Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam