Follow progforums on Twitter

Ad settings

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-20 23:12:21

TheDogman
Tanuki Supreme
Website

Currently Listening

At the moment I'm listening to Japanese symphonic jazz fusion - KBB, Ain Soph, and some Kenso a little while ago. What are you guys listening to?

#2 2010-08-22 17:05:19

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Re: Currently Listening

In my car CD changer at the moment, I have Eggs & Dogs (Tomas Bodin), Unitopia, Anglagard, Klotet and Transatlantic. Soon to go in, HFMC (Hasse Froberg's band) & the recent live recording from Karmakanic & Agents Of Mercy.

#3 2010-08-22 20:53:47

Hugo F.
Website

Aragon - Mr. Angel

next up:
Mario Millo - Epic III

#4 2010-08-23 00:16:18

TheDogman
Tanuki Supreme
Website

I just tried Cabezas de Cera yesterday and found them to be strange at times... but right now listening to Conqueror (RPI). How do you like You Are, Steve? I honestly couldn't stand it.

#5 2010-08-23 00:27:48

SteveA
Administrator
Website

TheDogman wrote:

How do you like You Are, Steve? I honestly couldn't stand it.

Wow! Really?

I think its excellent - his best since Sonic Boulevard (for me).

#6 2010-08-23 00:59:47

TheDogman
Tanuki Supreme
Website

I found that it never became musically interesting and the vocals were horrible throughout.

Though I enjoy every other Bodin album.

#7 2010-08-23 08:37:44

SteveA
Administrator
Website

I thought Michael Stolt's gravelly voice worked well. I think there's a Roger Waters thing type going on with this album, its musically sparse but I still find it interesting. I guess its an aquired taste!

#8 2010-08-24 17:21:40

Hugo F.
Website

I never picked up Bodin's latest. For some reason the samples didn't click with me.

NP:
Museo Rosenbach - Zarathustra

Next up:
Quella Vecchia Locanda - S/T

#9 2010-08-24 18:55:49

TheDogman
Tanuki Supreme
Website

f*ck yeah, RPI! Currently A Helmet of Gnats (jazz/prog fusion kind of thing from the US), but I'm gonna go on a huge RPI binge starting next week when I get to Rome. I think it'll be fitting. What do you think I should start with? I have a list of old (meaning bands I'm familiar with) and new (meaning bands I haven't listened to much/at all).

Here are the ones I'm gonna try some more.
Conqueror, Randone, Notabene, Areknames, Alma Sideris, Nodo Gordiano, Biglietto Per L'Infernale and La Maschera Di Cera.

And here are some old favorites I'll go through for fun.
La Torre dell'Alchemista, PFM, Il Bacio Della Medusa, QVL, Latte e Miele, and Banco.

I'll probably throw in some more like Le Orme, Delirium, Buon Vecchio Charlie, Alusa Fallax, Il Rovescio Della Medaglia, etc.

#10 2010-08-24 18:57:36

TheDogman
Tanuki Supreme
Website

Btw Hugo did you get PFM's "new" album? big_smile

#11 2010-08-24 21:14:32

Hugo F.
Website

If you mean "A.D. 2010 La Buona Novella Opera Apocrifa", than not yet. I once had both Fabrizio de Andre/ PFM on my computer and liked them. Though they're not at the top of my wantlist.
So, I'm still a bit reluctant towards this "new" one. But I know for sure it'll find its way into my collection someday big_smile

I have the Locanda Delle Fate album coming my way. I sold my Polydor release and will get the Korean SiWan release instead.
The Polydor release has very strange stereo panning which isn't to be found on the SiWan release. SOunds like a totally different album! (I compared samples)

The next PFM album I'll buy is "Cook" , the limited edition clamshell 3 disc, ooh yeah! Will fit nicely next to me PFM 10 Anni Live 1971 - 1981 box big_smile

Recommended RPI listening would be New Trolls - Concerto Grosso Trilogy Live, great great stuff! The DVD is one of my very favorite music DVDs.

#12 2010-08-24 22:06:57

TheDogman
Tanuki Supreme
Website

New Trolls are one of the few I've never tried... what else do they have that's good besides Concert Grosso?

I do recommend La Buona Novella though, I was actually going to write a rather good review for it soon big_smile
Cook's good too :3

#13 2010-08-25 14:23:57

Hugo F.
Website

TheDogman wrote:

New Trolls are one of the few I've never tried... what else do they have that's good besides Concert Grosso?

I have to confess, I didn't like much of the rest. Though Searching fo a Land is rated higher, I couldn't get into it. Something to do with the vocals I guess.
Perhaps I'm a bit biased, "Concerto Grosso I" (Luis Enriquez Bacalov) was used in the Giallo/ Thriller "La Vittima Designata", a very fine one with Tomas Milian. Later the music appeared again (on LP!!smile ) in the classic Di Leo Crime film "Milano Calibro 9" , which also uses music by Osanna (also composed by Bacalov)
This connection to Italian Genre film makes it more interesting to me.
Another Bacalov connection, and perhaps the best, thogh not movie related, would be Il Rovescio Della Medaglia - Contaminazione. A great example of how to combine Classical and Rock music and succeed.

NP:
Los Canarios - Ciclos (Vivaldi's Four Seasons)

Coming up next:
Refugee - Refugee

#14 2010-08-25 20:38:50

TheDogman
Tanuki Supreme
Website

Maybe I'll try some samples of NT and see what I like... I do listen to Osanna (a little overrated IMO), and Il Rovescio Della Medaglia already, the latter is one of my favorite RPI albums evar.

Was just listening to Gosta Berlings Saga + Kornet (SvenskProg ftw), now back to A Helmet of Gnats with the addition of D.F.A. (Italian but not RPI!)

#15 2010-08-26 08:20:16

Arnold_Layne
A Pretty Little Posey
Website

Scale The Summit - Carving Desert Canyons (2009)
have it since some time now but never pay attention to it hehe. its good, very young band, i think they average age is like 23 years old. although i like this other a bit more Animals As Leaders - Animals As Leaders (2009)

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Progforums @ Bandcamp Let’s Encrypt- free automated & open certificate authority (CA) SiteUptime Web Site Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam