6. Endochine - Day Two
7. Beardfish - Sleeping In Traffic Pts 1&2
8. Metallica - Death Magnetic
9. Lamb Of God - Ashes Of The Wake
10. Peter Gabriel - Up

#2 2009-12-29 10:22:11

Kazza3

Re: Beardfish makes Mike Portnoy's Top 10 albums of the Decade

That's awesome. Added bonus- Muse at the top!

#3 2009-12-29 20:38:21

Joe

I don't know if I agree with Mike on this one, Bigelf was a good band and were cool to see live but I don't know if I would rank them that high.  They were definitely go under Beardfish on mine, mainly because I would have rather seen Beardfish at PN09 than them.

#4 2009-12-30 01:31:59

Rikard Sjöblom

Well, that's cool smile
I would have chosen "Ghost Reveries" for Opeth instead though, and a whole bunch of the other albums/bands in general on there have not even touched my stereo, but it's nice to be on the list!

#5 2009-12-30 06:33:09

Bertovo
Website

Pretty miserable list by portnoy, no idea how anyone in their right mind could have Cheat The Gallows as their 2nd album of the decade, and Lamb of God blow.

Rikard, and everyone else for that matter, I would like to see your lists.  This here would be mine, not going to duplicate any artists:

1. Ulver - Perdition City
2. Opeth - Blackwater Park
3. Black Bonzo - Sounds of the Apocalypse
4. Iron & Wine - The Sheppard's Dog
5. Beardfish - SIIT2
6. The Mars Volta - Deloused in the Comatorium
7. Anekdoten - Gravity
8. Enslaved - RUUN
9. Katatonia - Last Fair Deal Gone Down
10. The Assemble Head In Sunburst Sound - When Sweet Sleep Returned

#6 2009-12-30 09:54:50

Kazza3

Yeah, I don't like most of those bands, but I'm not a metal fan anyway. Although I do like some Dream Theater.
As for a top 10, I dunno. I used to only listen to jazz and jazz-rock until a friend introduced me to Muse at the end of last year, and then Beardfish and about 5 other bands, but I'm still discovering music I like. It's exciting. But I agree with Mike putting Absolution first, having the SiT albums, and (Bertovo) having some TMV (though I would've picked Frances the Mute).

As an aside, Rikard, do you like Muse?

#7 2009-12-30 12:55:12

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Top 10 of the decade - that's a lot to choose from!

I'm not going to give a "top 10", but I'll list the albums (not by preference) I keep going back to...

Tomas Bodin - Sonic Boulevard
Beardfish - Destined Solitaire
Beardfish - Från En Plats Du Ej Kan Se
Black Bonzo - (first album)
Brighteye Brison - Stories
Gungfly - Please be Quiet
Hypnos69 - The Eclectic Measure
Kaipa - Keyholder
Ritual - The Hemulic Voluntary Band
Magenta - Seven
Lalle Larsson - Weaveworld
Lazuli - Amnesie
Unitopia - More than a Dream
TFK - Sum of no Evil
Tangent - The World that we Drive Through

Of course, some of these are recent and I might burn out on them, but also I might re-visit stuff I burned out on before and find something new (that's why SiT1&2 isn't currently there!)

#8 2009-12-31 01:41:10

hassanguason

I like some of those bands. I use to dislike the flaming Lips a lot, but now after their cover album of the dark side of the moon i really hate that band, awful.

Here's my very personal top ten.

1. Opeth - Ghost Reveries
2. Metallica - Death Magnetic
3. Beardfish - Sleeping In Traffic II
4. Hurt - Goodbye to the machine
5. Paul McCartney - Chaos and creation in the backyard
6. Pearl Jam - Binaural
7. Protest the hero - Fortress
8. Dream Theater - Train of Thought
9. Muse -Absolution
10. Thrice - Beggars

#9 2009-12-31 05:53:50

Naterivas

Here would be my list

Gungfly - Please Be Quiet (This album has become an addiction of sorts, it receives  daily listens on the way to the office)

Opeth - Watershed (I know it already seems like I'm picking new albums but this one was mind blowing as well with songs such as Burden, Hessian Peel, and The Lotus Eater)

Transatlantic - SMPT:e

Dethklok - The Dethalbum II

The Mars Volta - Frances The Mute

Mastodon - Blood Mountain

Oysterhead - The Grand Pecking Order

Pain of Salvation - Be

The Pineapple Thief - Tightly Unwound

At the Drive-In - Relationship of Command

That's a pretty good list, I have a great dislike for most American metal bands, although a few seem to be making an effort Lamb of God, Slipknot, and even recent Metallica just get on my nerves, it's just grinding and growls, no substance.

#10 2009-12-31 10:53:18

TheDogman
Tanuki Supreme
Website

I'm finding this to be difficult, which is why I decided to make the list! So much fun big_smile Anyway...

1. Beardfish - Destined Solitaire - I feel like Beardfish's albums keep getting better, so if the trend continues the next album will replace this one big_smile

2. Opeth - Watershed - I completely agree with the previous poster, this album is amazing. For one thing, the keyboards on The Lotus Eater are pure Canterbury. So refreshing to see something like that in death metal.)

3. Pain of Salvation - Remedy Lane - Close choice between this and every other PoS album, Entropia is actually my favorite, but it came out two years too soon to be eligible on the list.

4. The Tangent - A Place in the Queue - The Music that Died Alone and Down and Out in Paris and London come close, but they'll probably never top this one for me.

5. Riverside - Out of Myself - Almost a tie between this and Anno Domini High Definition, either way, can't wait to see them at NEARFest big_smile

6. Fromuz - Audio Diplomacy - Mmmm... Good ol' eclectic jazz/metal fusion from Uzbekistan...

7. Van Der Graaf Generator - Trisector - I feel like an album by VDGG (my personal favorite band) should be at the top of my list, but I'm willing to assume this is simply the band's (second) warmup, since they only recently reformed. Still, an excellent album in my opinion, even if it doesn't top Godbluff or Pawn Hearts (not that many things can).

8. Il Bacio Della Medusa - Recitativo: È Nel Buio Che Risplendono Le Stelle - Mmmm, Italian prog.

9. Parallel or 90 Degrees - Unbranded - If only this album weren't impossible to find.

10. Ayreon - The Human Equation - Only Arjen Lucassen can blend opera and metal in a way that I don't find annoying and pretentious. I actually prefer Into the Electric Castle, but as with Pain of Salvation, it isn't eligible.

Runner Ups (or Runner's Up?)

11. The Flower Kings - Sum of No Evil

12. Liquid Tension Experiment - When the Keyboard Breaks: Live in Chicago

13. Birds & Buildings - Bantam to Behemoth

14. Guilt Machine - On This Perfect Day

15. Cynic - Traced in Air

16. Astra - The Weirding

17. Delirium - Il Nome Del Vento

18. Osanna - Prog Family: Osanna & David Jackson

19. Guy Manning - The Cure

20. King Crimson - The Power to Believe

#11 2009-12-31 16:19:22

Hugo F.
Website

Here's just a few I thought i'd mention:

Anekdoten - A Time of Day
Beardfish - The Sane day
Blackfield - Blackfield
California Guitar Trio - CGT + 2
Camel - A Nod and a Wink
The Flower Kings - Unfold the Future
Gungfly - Please be Quiet
Karmakanic - Who's the Boss in the Factory ?
King Crimson - Heavy ConstruKction
King Crimson - The Power to Believe
Klotet - En Rak Hoger
Lazuli - En Avant Doute
NeBeLNeST - ZePTO
New Trolls - Concerto Grosso Trilogy Live + DVD
Paatos - Timeloss
Paatos - Sensors
Par Lindh project - Live in Poland
Premiata Forneria Marconi - Dracula
Ritual - The Hemulic Voluntary Band
Roine Stolt - Wallstreet Voodoo
Trettioariga Kriget - Elden Av Ar
Trettioariga Kriget - I borjan och Slutet
Wobbler - Afterglow

#12 2009-12-31 16:47:49

TheDogman
Tanuki Supreme
Website

How is Heavy Construktion? I'm a huge fan of King Crimson live albums (I have quite a few more for KC than any other band) and I don't have that one. The tracklist on ProgArchives has a lot of song names I've never seen before (especially the third one) which makes me think it's a disk full of improv, basically exactly what I want from a KC live album big_smile

Besides that, you really liked PFM's Dracula that much? I haven't been too impressed with their new stuff sad Maybe my problem is that I compare the new albums to Storia Di Un Minuto ect.

#13 2009-12-31 17:24:46

Hugo F.
Website

TheDogman wrote:

How is Heavy Construktion? I'm a huge fan of King Crimson live albums (I have quite a few more for KC than any other band) and I don't have that one. The tracklist on ProgArchives has a lot of song names I've never seen before (especially the third one) which makes me think it's a disk full of improv, basically exactly what I want from a KC live album big_smile

Yep, think The ProjeKcts vs. Thrakkattak. Great Crimso improvs. If you have the Eyes Wide Open DVD you should know what to expect.
Also the CoL stuff is great live.

Besides that, you really liked PFM's Dracula that much? I haven't been too impressed with their new stuff sad Maybe my problem is that I compare the new albums to Storia Di Un Minuto ect.

Yeah, I like Dracula. It has some great vocal lines and nice orchestrations. Sure, I love the classic albums, but those were released way before 2000 wink

#14 2009-12-31 20:12:53

Hugo F.
Website

BTW there's some samples over at Amazon

^Hope it works big_smile

#15 2009-12-31 22:08:10

TheDogman
Tanuki Supreme
Website

I'm a huge fan of the ProjeKts (I have 1-4 and ProjecKt X), but Thrakkattak... not so much. I found it to be a bit abrasive, though not COMPLETELY unpleasant. After listening to a few samples I think I'll take a chance and get one of Amazon's used copies of Heavy ConstruKtion big_smile

By the way if you like Italian prog I suggest you check out the three albums I named higher up. There are (interestingly) quite a few bands that have released albums in the last decade, including some reformations like PFM and some new ones like La Torre Dell'Alchemista and Il Bacio Della Medusa. Osanna (another comeback) is a really interesting one if you're a VDGG fan (like I am), if only for the novelty tongue There's a cover of Theme One on it though, which is always nice.

• Index
  •  » Beardfish
  •  » Beardfish makes Mike Portnoy's Top 10 albums of the Decade RSS Feed

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Progforums @ Bandcamp Let’s Encrypt- free automated & open certificate authority (CA) SiteUptime Web Site Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam