Progressive Rock discussion groups

Follow progforums on Twitter

Ad settings

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-05 16:26:15

KeithieW

Unitopia - A real find.

Unitopia – A real find.

It’s not too often that you are introduced to bands that knock you sideways. Bands whose music, lyrics and thoughts resonate and make you wonder how they passed you by until now.

My friend, Eowyn, who lives in New Mexico, USA, told me that she thought I would like Australian band “Unitopia” and that I should listen closely to their songs. How right she was!!!!

Just on her recommendation I bought their two albums “More than a dream” released in 2005 and their latest album “The Garden”. From the first few bars of the first song I realised that I was listening to something really special.

As a sometime singer I was really impressed by vocalist Mark Trueack. Not only is his voice SO strong but also, and this is rare for Rock vocalists I think, his diction is unbelievably good. You can hear EVERY word whether he is in “Ballad” mode or rocking out, sometimes even screaming the lines.

The rest of the band are no slouches either with superb musicianship in every department.

But it was the songs that really got to me. Songs with a message, a meaning and definitely deeply felt emotion. They are all written from the heart and soul and that really comes across when you listen. The plight of the planet, love, the search for your inner self and generally a love of life, all are covered on these two incredible albums.

I won’t go into detail about each song as you really should listen for yourself and make up your own minds, but for me, standout tracks are: ‘Fate’, ‘Justify’ and ‘More than a dream’ from the first album and ‘The Garden’ (a 20+ minute magnum opus), ‘Inside the power’, ‘Journeys friend’ (another epic track), ‘Give and Take’ and ‘321’ from the latest album.

Ask me to describe their style and I would have to say ECLECTIC. They can move seamlessly from ballad, to hard rock to symphonic prog to cool jazz, sometimes, as in the case of ‘Journeys friend’, all in the space of a single song. They even throw in bits of traditional Aborigine music which makes for very interesting textures and feel.

Quite astonishing, and I will be forever grateful to my friend for pointing me in Unitopia’s direction.

They are in the process of recording their 3rd album and, if it’s anywhere near as good as their first two offerings, it’s going to be a good 2010.

If any of the members of Unitopia read this I would just like to say that I can’t wait to see you at ROSfest 2010. It will be great to hear how these beautiful songs sound live. And to anyone else I’ll say this: Buy this music……you will not be disappointed. TRUST ME!!

KeithieW

#2 2009-11-06 21:01:27

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Re: Unitopia - A real find.

You're right KeithieW - Eowyn turned me on to Unitopia too. Truely amazing band.

Its like all the good bits of Transatlantic, Kevin Moore (Chroma Key, OSI) and Frost combined. I hope they will come to Europe soon...

#3 2009-11-08 03:51:37

Eowyn
Website

Hey guys! I'm glad you both enjoy their music so much.  Keithie, as always you have described their music with the poetic beauty only you have smile  We're working on putting together their first World Tour right now and Europe is definitely on the list!  Any place in particular you'd like them to come?

Hasse Froberg and the Musical Companion: http://www.myspace.com/ha....lcompanion
Unitopia: http://www.myspace.com/unitopiaband

#4 2009-11-08 12:40:05

KeithieW

Eowyn wrote:

Any place in particular you'd like them to come?

Obviously I'd love it if they could play London, England but I'd try and get to a gig anywhere in the UK.

I still can't stop playing these albums. It's driving my friends and family MAD!!

KeithieW

#5 2009-11-08 14:06:32

SteveA
Administrator
Website

#6 2009-11-08 14:12:42

Unitopian

Keithie, Eowyn must have told you that she sent your wonderful comment to the band.  Truey (Mark Trueack) was very touched by it actually.

And yes, Europe is on the list for 2010!

Thanks again for your support

Patsy

#7 2009-11-08 14:15:04

Unitopian

KeithieW wrote:

Eowyn wrote:

Any place in particular you'd like them to come?

Obviously I'd love it if they could play London, England but I'd try and get to a gig anywhere in the UK.

I still can't stop playing these albums. It's driving my friends and family MAD!!

Hope they will love it too !!!

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Progforums @ Bandcamp Let’s Encrypt- free automated & open certificate authority (CA) SiteUptime Web Site Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam